Dear All,

We wanted to send out an email to advise that we are still working remotely, as we have been for the past year and that we will be turning our laptops off for the Easter break, which means that on Friday and Monday we will not be working.


Further to the Scottish Government guidance we should be able to address non essential repairs from the end of this month, so far we have only been able to address essential maintenance issues.

As you are aware all maintenance issues should be reported through which allows the maintenance team to efficiently inform the contractor, landlord and reply to you to keep you informed of who will be attending.

We do ask that if you can wear a mask and keep the windows open when a contractor is attending the property.


You many have already received the link for an insurance quote when you were in the process of being referenced, but incase you did not, it is important to make you aware that although the landlords items are insured, your items are not, and when we carry out the check in appointments in person we tend to use to example that if someone were to enter the property and take things, they wont take the washing machine, they are more likely to take phones, watches and tablets.

The link is below if you want to obtain a quote, to see if it is less expensive that what you currently have or if it is something that you are thinking about.

Financial Difficulty

We know that a number of tenants have already and will be further impacted financially by the coronavirus pandemic. We want to provide guidance on the procedure you should follow if you are concerned about your ability to pay your rent. Under the terms of your tenancy the rent is still due, but you may be able to obtain support with your rent if you are in financial difficulty.

  1. Let us know
    Many of us are going to experience financial hardship in the coming months and while you are still liable to pay your rent, we are here to help. Talk to us if you think you might experience problems in paying your rent. We are experienced in helping tenants to avoid getting into rent arrears.
  1. Enquire about your entitlement to any state benefits.
    People affected by coronavirus who are concerned about paying their rent can apply for Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions which includes support for housing costs, if eligible. Universal Credit is available to some working as well as unemployed people. The UK Government has introduced some temporary changes to make applying for this easier. The following website provides further information on applying for Universal Credit:
    If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but still can’t afford your housing costs, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). Further information on DHPs and how to apply is available at:
    You may also be able to get support through the Scottish Welfare Fund. Further information on how to apply is available on:

If you are currently a student there may be other funds you can access – contact your college or university and ask for help. See also:

  1. Tenant Hardship Loan Fund
    The Scottish Government has established a new £10 million fund to support tenants struggling to pay their rent due to financial difficulty associated with the Covid-19 pandemic. The Tenant Hardship Loan Fund offers interest-free loans for up to nine months of rent costs. The loan can be used to cover rent arrears which have arisen since 1 January 2020 and up to three months of future rent payments.

    To confirm the level of any arrears, the loan administrator will contact the applicant’s landlord or letting agent.

    Loan repayments will be deferred for 6 months following payment of the loan, with the loan being repaid in 60 monthly instalments. Applicants will need to pass an affordability check and a credit check before being offered a loan.

The online loan portal for applications can be found at

  1. Keep in touch so that we know what your situation is and can assist you where possible. Your landlord is more likely to be willing to be flexible if you keep them updated on your situation.
Housing benefit
If you receive housing benefit from local housing allowance or universal credit then it is your responsibility to ensure that the rent is paid in full and on time as required by the tenancy agreement. If the housing benefit you are entitled to is less than the monthly rent then you are responsible for paying the difference in full and on time.
Sources of advice and assistance
If you are struggling to pay your rent we recommend that you seek advice as soon as possible. If you’re in rent arrears or having difficulty in paying your rent then you can get free advice from: Shelter Scotland Citizens Advice Scotland The Money Advice Service Scotland’s Financial Health Service StepChange  

Dealing with a change of tenant on a PRT tenancy

If the Agreement is a joint tenancy then all of the joint tenants have to agree to the ending of the Agreement.

One joint tenant cannot end the Agreement on behalf of all tenants. Any notice from the tenant to end the tenancy would have to be signed by all of the joint tenants.

If a joint tenant wants to end the tenancy by sending notice by email then this would be done either:

• by each of the people who are joint tenants sending their own email, all saying that the tenancy is to end on the same date;


• by each of the joint tenants signing a paper copy notice and then one of those joint tenants scanning or taking a photo of that signed paper copy notice and attaching it to an email and emailing, on behalf of all of the joint tenants.

There are times, such as where there has been domestic violence, where a court can make an exclusion order or order the transfer of a joint tenancy into the name of one tenant, or a tenancy in the name of one partner into the name of the other.

This is under the Matrimonial Homes (Family Protection) (Scotland) Act 1981. If a tenant needs advice about this, they could contact one of the advice groups listed at the end of these Notes or Scottish Women’s Aid (

If a tenant wants to leave a PRT tenancy then the landlord may be willing to offer the remaining tenants a new tenancy if the tenants all give notice in accordance with the guidance above.

Sometimes the tenants who want to stay on will find a new person to share with. If this is the case then we would recommend that reference checks are carried out on the prospective new tenant before a new tenancy is offered.


 As you know at the start of the initial tenancy you have 7 days to return the inventory and then it is marked as accepted, in cases of a change of tenancy where there is continuous occupation by at least one tenant it is not normally advisable to carry out an inventory check or update the inventory between tenancies. We would ask all tenants on the new tenancy to sign and date the existing inventory on or soon after the new tenancy start date. Should the new tenancy end with a dispute over the deposit return, we will submit all tenancy agreements to the deposit scheme adjudicator to show why the inventory is dated much earlier than the tenancy start date.


Again when you were being referenced you may have received the link below or a quote to have sky installed, as letting agents we do not tend to get involved with broadband, phone or sky, however incase you did not receive the link previously and it is something that you are thinking about, please see the link below

Hope that you are safe and well

Kindest Regards

Michelle O’Donnell

Branch Manager


17 Elmbank Street


G2 4PB

0141 221 3990

Registration number LARN1903009

VAT : 174415411


The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Glasgow Property Letting Ltd cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.

We will no longer retain emails from you as per GDPR legislation. This means when you send us an email you should keep a copy for your own records if you will need to refer to it at a later date. You can dispose of your own copies according to your own GDPR retention policies.